Vacancy: Environmental Technologist (fulltime), Safisana NL
Safisana (Weesp, The Netherlands) is an innovative international social enterprise in the African circular economy. The Holding Team is seeking to hire an Environmental Technologist for 40 hours per week to build and strengthen Safisana’s technical know-how with the purpose of further scaling our circular business model in and outside Ghana.
Safisana has developed a sustainable solution for sanitation and waste treatment in low and middle-income countries that lack sewerage systems. By treating faecal waste and organic waste as valuable resources to produce renewable energy and organic fertilizer, the Safisana Solution creates impact and contributes to multiple SDGs related to the climate, health, sanitation and food security crises. In 2017, Safisana opened its first waste-to-resource plant in Accra (Ghana) - the first in West Africa reaching around 150,000 people with improved social economic and environmental living conditions. In the coming decade, we aim to replicate our circular business model across the African continent and exponentially grow our impact.
About your role
In your role as Environmental Technologist, you will be based in Weesp (Greater Amsterdam). As part of a small team in an innovative business environment that operates across the continents, we look for a flexible and entrepreneurial spirit with a pro-active, hands-on working mentality. Your primary responsibility as an Environmental Technologist is to capture and grow Safisana’s technical know-how with the purpose to scale and optimise our business model both economically and environmentally. You are expected to implement quality and environmental management systems in our existing operations and future projects. As the Environmental Technologist, you will be part of an operational support team in which you work under the supervision of the Operations and Technology Manager, and work closely with the Research and Development Manager.
● Building and strengthening the internal knowledge base of Safisana’s modular Solution. This includes the establishment and description of processes, operational standards, product knowledge, applied technologies, working methods, health and safety policies etc.
● Providing strong support and hands-on problem-solving to Safinana’s operations in Ghana
● Scouting and implementation of continuous improvements and optimization of operational processes through R&D, both for the existing recycling plant and for new projects
● Grow technical expertise within the operational teams through effective internal communication tailored to different audiences (detailed for technical experts, short and easily accessible for daily operations)
● Collaborating with external consultants and bringing in new knowledge to Safisana to improve and grow our business model both in terms of social/environmental goals as well as in terms of financial goals
● Development and implementation of management systems such as ISO 9000 (quality) and ISO 14000 (environmental)
Qualifications & Requirements
● Ability to make excellent decisions and overcome challenges creatively.
● Excellent verbal and written communication skills
● Self-motivated and organised
● Experience in customer relationship management and B2B selling
● Ability to adapt and function well in a high-paced and at times stressful environment.
● Willingness to work additional hours to meet business demands
● Ability to work independently and proceed with objectives without close supervision
● Ability to set goals and achieve them.
● Experience using CRM to manage the sales process and forecast sales
● Good understanding of French and/or Dutch language
● Experience with Lean Manufacturing tools & methods, Six-Sigma
● Experience in industry or R&D for renewable energy, organic waste processing and/or wastewater treatment
● Capable of making financial models for future projects
● Trained in the use of CAD (AutoCAD)
● Experience with graphic design/technical illustration
● Understanding of business financials
Please note that you must have a visa and work permit to live and work in the Netherlands.
Candidates who don’t have a work permit for the Netherlands, will not be considered for this role.
How to apply?
Fill out the application form (including resume and cover letter) before the 30th of August, 2023. We are looking forward to receiving your application!